Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Jefferson Market - Sunday Brunch

My wife and I were introduced to the Jefferson Market Sunday brunch this summer by our good friends, Aaron and Megan. We had prided ourselves to be breakfast aficionados in town, but were amazed to find this place could trump all the other great breakfast experiences Ann Arbor has to offer.

The Jefferson Market and Cakery is located on the old west-side, across the street from Bach Elementary school on Jefferson Street. Surrounded by houses, the location and feel is a fantastic Sunday escape from searching for downtown parking, and being reminded of office buildings and work (not that I really ever work in an office). Besides the delicious menu, perhaps the most enticing aspect of the Jefferson Market experience is that I have yet to experience any wait times for a table. At the hotspots such as Angelos, Northside Grill, Afternoon Delight, and the Broken Egg - that is almost unheard of on a Sunday. Wait lines can be upwards of ninety minutes at those locations (so I save those spots for weekdays!).

In my first encounter with the Jefferson market, I brought my then eight week old Viszla, Tempo, along. To his delight, the owners came out to our curbside table and gave Tempo some water. You see, they happened to be proud owners of two Viszlas themselves, which automatically helped me develop a bond with my hosts, and (hopefully) guarantee excellent service. The owners chatted and hung out with Tempo as we ate our meal. We were set.

It can be easy not to experiment with menu choices when you find a winner, and that was my dilemma for the first few weeks going there. The $3.99 McJefferson (A Toasted Bagel with Two Fried Eggs, Sharp Cheddar Cheese and Your Choice of Bacon or Sausage. Topped with Lettuce, Tomato and Mayo), still allowed room (both caloric and financial) for a slice of their specialty cakes, for which they are mostly known for.

Eventually I ventured to their Cinnamon Raison French Toast, and their Pancakes – both of which are as good as any Sierra and I have tried in NYC, Boston, New Zealand, or Europe.

The menu is small, as brunch is only a one day deal for them. But what they do, they do well indeed. So, if you’re looking for a relaxed place to kick it with friends or family, and avoid the hustle of Ann Arbor's weekend brunch scene, I suggest going down to Jefferson Street, and meeting the family that makes Sierra and I so happy on any given Sunday.

Note: By promoting this place now before the blog gets big, we can keep it from getting too crowded!

Ratings:

Location/Parking - 4.5/5

Ambiance - 4.5/5

Food - 4.5/5

Value - 4.5/5

Service - 4.5/5

Overall - 4.5/5!

1 comment:

  1. Willis- I absolutely LOVE Jefferson market. I had no clue you even knew about it. Their Sunday brunch is a hidden gem in A2. Mary the owner is phenomenal. They catered Mark and Angela's whole wedding and it rocked. I also live blocks from this place.....so I am very spoiled. Great post.

    ReplyDelete